The long sunny days of summer bring with them holidays and tonnes of fun. This is the time when you take a break from all the unending work and studies and try to rejuvenate your body.
Whether you are traveling or just chilling at home, one thing that’s paramount in the summers is to keep yourself hydrated. Hydration helps keep you cool and prevents all the discomforting symptoms such as muscle cramps, fatigue, irritability, and a constantly parched throat.
While it is good to keep a water bottle handy, let’s admit it- water does get boring.
So, why not shake up that bland glass of water into something more fun and tasty? We are talking about summer coolers that help you stay energized and refreshed, without piling on unnecessary calories. And the best part is that all these drinks are made using quintessential Indian herbs.
These herbs are those that everyone has stocked up in their pantry. They not just make delicious drinks but have some amazing health benefits too.
Let’s take a look at some easy recipes and benefits of these delicious drinks.
1. Ashwagandha Milkshake
Also known as Winter Cherry or Indian Ginseng, Ashwagandha is a powerful herb native to India and other Southeast Asian countries. Ashwagandha is a rich source of nutrients and polyphenol compounds.
This Ashwagandha milkshake recipe is not just super delicious, it also helps manage stress & anxiety, controls blood sugar, and keeps your blood pressure regulated.
· Roast 4 tablespoons of Ashwagandha powder in ghee.
· Add a tablespoon of honey to it.
· Add this mix to a glass of milk.
· Add ice and blend well.
· Drink chilled
2. Saffron Rose Lemonade
Though saffron is usually associated with winter and hot drinks, it makes for a tasty and fortified summer cooler too. Rich in antioxidants and other essential nutrients, saffron helps ease your digestion, cures insomnia, reduces respiratory problems, and prevents the risk of arthritis. Best Herbs to Build Your Child’s Immunity During the COVID Pandemic
· Take a saucepan and add sugar, saffron strands, crushed cardamom seeds, and water. Heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
· Now, fill a glass with chilled water and add this saffron and sugar syrup to it according to your taste.
· Add crushed ice and mix well.
· Serve chilled.
3. Curcumin Ginger Detox Water
Curcumin is a phenolic compound that not just gives turmeric its bright yellow color but also all its healthy properties. This detox water is perfect to lighten up your stomach after all those binge outings, especially during the hot summers. This drink is also abundant in anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties.
· Take a glass of water and add grated ginger roots to it.
· Bring it to a boil.
· Strain the water and add one tablespoon of lemon juice and half a tablespoon of turmeric powder.
· Add honey or powdered jaggery and rock salt to taste.
· Serve chilled with crushed ice.
4. Chamomile Lemon and Gin Cocktail
Chamomile is often referred to as the ‘relaxing’ herb, something that’s quite essential to beat the merciless summer heat. This cocktail has a distinct flavor that is soothing and delicious at the same time. It helps you relax and makes your digestion process smoother and easier, especially beneficial for the summer months. This drink is also an excellent immunity booster.
· To make this chilled and refreshing cocktail, seep one bag of chamomile tea in a glass of hot water.
· Add a tablespoon of honey and let it cool.
· Add the juice of half a lemon along with gin.
· Garnish with fresh cucumber slices and add crushed ice.
· Serve cold.
5. Lavender Lemonade
Often considered to be an essential part of aromatherapy, lavender is also an excellent addition to summer drinks. This drink, when taken regularly, helps combat skin breakouts due to heat and helps it detoxify. It also helps cool down your body after a long day in the sun.
· To make lavender syrup, add half a cup of water to a pan and add 1 tablespoon of sugar and fresh lavender leaves. For added flavor, you can add lavender powder too. Let this mixture boil and simmer till the sugar has dissolved.
· Remove from the heat and set aside for at least an hour.
· Chill the syrup.
· To make the lemonade, add a tablespoon of the lavender mix along with a glass of water.
· Serve over ice garnished with lemon wedges and sprigs of lavender.
6. Coconut and Mint Cooler
One of the best herbs to consume in summer, mint is an incredibly cooling ingredient. Perfect for beating the grueling heat, this mint drink helps treat summer headaches and rejuvenates your energy levels. Not just this, mint is great for clearing the skin too. 5 Natural Herbs to Consume in Cold Weather.
· Collect the water of coconut in a pitcher.
· Scrape the coconut meat and add it to the water.
· Add mint leaves, half a tablespoon of honey, and lemon juice to this mix.
· Add crushed ice and serve chilled.
7. Blackberry Basil Cocktail
The ‘Holy Basil’ is an ancient Indian herb that’s known for its health-giving properties. This cocktail is not just unique in its taste but is also cooling and refreshing. It helps you stay hydrated while enhancing your body’s immunity.
· In a glass, muddle lime juice, sugar, and fresh blackberries.
· Add a few basil leaves and crush them in.
· Add a bit of soda and stir gently.
· Top with crushed ice and stir again.
· Garnish with basil leaves and a couple of blackberries.
· Serve cold.
The Bottom Line
All these summer drinks are not just super delicious but healthy too. They help you revitalize while preventing scores of ailments. While these are some of the best drinks that are a must-try, the fun doesn’t end here. Be as innovative as you can and make creative concoctions to match your taste. Just don’t forget to add these magical herbs! Your body will thank you for it!